And no I’m not going to bitch about airlines. Yes, I know airlines are an easy target. Some of them are definitely easier than others. And it is true some are actually working hard at improving.
No today’s message is to the passengers. If you travel on airplanes this blog is for you!!
I travel plenty both personally and professionally. There was a day when I was a teenager when I complained that I hadn’t flown on a plane. Careful what you wish for.
This blog is a light message reminding us all of 12 things to think about that will dramatically improve your flying experience if you are attentive to all twelve.
If any of the following resonates with you in any way start making “new” choices.
“Attention passengers we are all travelling with each other trapped in a large tubular object for the next one to four hours, so let’s all think of each other”.
- What is the definition of carry-on bags? A suitcase, laptop bag (the size of a small suitcase) and a handbag that matches the size of your laptop bag?? Well this might be slightly excessive.
- There is one overhead compartment to support the three seats directly under the compartment. Why is there a shortage of space? Who thinks they are entitled to more? Why do you think the overhead compartment is only for you? I don’t remember that option on the ticket purchase.
- Most domestic flights are three seats per side. Those seats have four arm rests and the three people sitting have six arms. We have a math problem. Why do you think you get two of the four arm rests?
- Relaxing can make the time go by, however, your head is in my lap when you recline. If this is a dating service it might be ok. If we all don’t recline this problem is solved. These seats are really not designed as “lazy boy” comfort.
- Your loud conversation with the complete stranger you just met may be entertaining to you but the odds are the rest of the plane doesn’t want or enjoys hearing it. Your increased volume in your voice is heard clearly by all.
- If you drink one beverage per half hour, you have to go to the washroom many times. This shouldn’t be a surprise. I don’t mind getting up for you once. But three times?
- I’m happy you are listening to your favorite music on your latest technology. I don’t want to hear it. There is a volume button for a reason. Sorry.
- The seat belt sign means stay seated. The rule applies to all of us. If you fall over as a result of turbulence when you are supposed to be seated that is going to hurt all of us involved.
- Why do we have a no smoking sign in planes? Is there anyone who doesn’t know we can’t smoke? Seriously, even the smokers know they can’t smoke.
- Your smokeless tobacco cigarette is annoying. Really, you need to do that? You should just quit. Don’t you know it is bad for you?
- We are all going to get off the plane. Why do you think you get to leave first? Be patient.
- I don’t know what your ticket for this flight cost and I don’t care if it was more or less. Once we are on board we are all the same. Equality amongst travellers.
So what is the message?
- Enjoy the journey.
- Respect each other.
- Treat others like you want to be treated.
This message when applied in practice by all will definitely improve customer satisfaction, and it is in our control not the airline. Choose to be a thoughtful airplane traveller for the benefit of yourself and others.
Make the right choices on your next flight.
"We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls." — Anais Nin